Lots of people make assumptions about macaroons--that they're dry, pasty, and gross. Well, if you've never tasted a homemade macaroon, I understand why you'd say that. But homemade, fresh, chocolate-dipped macaroons are a totally different dessert than those store-bought wanna-be cookies. We promise you won't be disappointed when you bite into these delicious cookies. This recipe should make about 30 cookies, which we expect your guests will grab off the platter before you know it. These cookies are a great treat for Passover, but in truth, we like them any time of year. Enjoy!
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 14-ounce bag of shredded coconut
1 tablespoon of powdered Coffee Mate
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 egg white*
3 Tablespoons melted and cooled butter
Semisweet or milk chocolate
1. Mix all ingredients (except the chocolate) in a bowl.
2. Roll into balls (about the size of a “superball” or truffle).
3. Place balls on cookie sheet lined with wax or parchment paper. Cool in refrigerator for about an hour.
4. Melt chocolate in double boiler.
5. Dip coconut balls into chocolate and place on cookie sheet.
6. Freeze to harden chocolate--about two hours.
*This recipe is not cooked, so to minimize the risk of salmonella, I recommend using an organic egg.