Cheesecake is one of those desserts that seems to get applause whenever it's served. Delicious and rich, people just love it. But here's the secret: it's really easy. It only takes some mixing, pouring, and baking (and in the case of this double-layer cheesecake, some mixing, pouring, and baking again) to make this crowd-pleaser. Traditionally, cheesecake is served at Shavuot, a spring holiday, but we happen to think it's perfect year round.
2 8-oz bars of cream cheese, softened
1 ¾ teaspoon vanilla, separated
1 cup sugar, separated
1 pint sour cream
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make cracker bottom for springform pan by melting the butter and combine with the graham cracker crumbs, then pressing the crumbs into the bottom of the pan.
3. Combine cream cheese, eggs, ½ cup sugar and ¾ tsp vanilla – beat until smooth.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool. Meanwhile, turn your oven to 475 degrees.
5. Combine sour cream, ½ c sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix well and pour over cooled cake.
6. Bake at 475 degrees for 10 minutes.