Passover Eggplant Parmigiana
A perfect dish for Passover--or year-round
This is a great family meal year-round. But we're partial to it especially during Passover. That eight-day holiday can start to feel really long by day 6. That's when it's time to make this eggplant dish. It's so rich and delicious that you'll almost forget that it's Passover.
3 beaten eggs
2 cups matzah meal
1/4 cup parmesean cheese
10 - 12 slices of mozzarella cheese
jar of tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Slice eggplant into thin slices.
3. Lay slices out on paper towel and sprinkle slices with salt. Let sit and "sweat" for 15 minutes. Pat them dry.
4. In a separate bowl, mix matzo meal and parmesan cheese together.
5. Beat egg in a shallow bowl.
6. Heat a saute pan with olive oil until hot (you will be lightly frying the eggplant).
7. Dip eggplant slices into egg, and then matzo meal, coating both sides.
8. Place in hot olive oil and brown slices on both sides.
9. In casserole dish, spread a small amount of tomato sauce on bottom of dish.
10. Place lightly fried eggplant in single layer covering the bottom of the dish.
11. Spread sauce on top of slices, and then place a single layer of mozzerella slices on top.
12. Repeat for 3 layers, ending with sauce and mozzerella cheese on top.
13. Cover and place in oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Uncover and place back in oven for 10 more minutes to slightly brown the top.
Serves 6-8. Enjoy, and Happy Passover!