Rosh Hashanah is known as a holiday that loves sweetness–after all, that’s what the whole dipping apples in honey thing is all about. And traditionally you’d find a honey cake on the holiday table–sweet and spicy. But personally, I never really liked that honey cake. I’m a fan of apple cake. This is my mom’s recipe and I think it’s delicious. I hope you like it too.
3 cups flour
2 ½ cups sugar
1 cup cooking oil
5 unbeaten eggs
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup orange juice
2 ½ teaspoon vanilla
3 teaspoons baking powder
8-10 thinly sliced apples
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour a tube pan or bundt pan.
3. Beat together flour, sugar, oil, eggs, salt, orange juice, vanilla, and baking powder until smooth in a large bowl.
4. In another bowl, mix together apples with 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 3 teaspoons sugar.
5. Layer apples in the bottom of the pan. Pour over enough batter to cover, then layer more apples, then batter again. Top with apples.
6. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
For more apple-based recipes, try out these unique ways to use apples and honey.