We know Hanukkah’s known for fried foods: potato latkes, donuts, and the like. But truthfully, there’s really only so much oil you want to eat over an eight-day period. That’s where this delicious chocolate mousse comes in. It doesn’t take too long to prepare (just remember to budget the time to chill it before you want to eat), and it’s delicious. We like to top it with a few pieces of chocolate gelt for a special treat!
8 ounces semisweet chocolate
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
5 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Melt chocolate with water and sugar in a double boiler. Stir until velvety and thoroughly blended.
2. Set in a pan of cold water.
3. Add egg yolks and vanilla. The mixture should be semifluid–if it’s too firm, add up to 5 tablespoons of tepid water.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into chocolate.
5. Spoon into individual dessert cups.
6. Chill 4-6 hours.