May 25 2012
Yesterday, Mayim told us that she was taking a break from Facebook because of all the negative comments she has to deal with. Today, Jordana Horn pleads with her to rethink that decision:
And I do mean “dear”! I’ve interviewed you, I’ve argued with you, and I’ve learned from you. It’s a great honor being a Kveller contributing editor with you.
You are an awesome person. I’d go so far as to call you an aishet chayil–and have actually done so in print–which means a woman of valor, whose value is beyond rubies. We don’t agree on a lot, but you are a deep, kind, intelligent and thoughtful person and I feel so grateful and fortunate for our friendship. Read the rest of this entry →
May 18 2012
Do I get bonus points for using cloth diapers?
I think I may be missing the point.
I’ve been reading up on attachment parenting and caught Dr. Sears on TV the other day. Besides the fact that “attachment mothering” seems a more apt description, most of what it describes seems fairly sensible, if, to my way of thinking, not absolutely necessary. Looking back, I guess I practiced most of this method without calling it AP, or even knowing of such a thing 20-plus years ago. This method of parenting infants fit my style and value system and I was home full-time. I did hold my babies when they seemed to need holding, tried to learn to understand their cries, breastfed, co-slept (it was so much easier for night feedings), and didn’t let my infants “cry it out at night.” Heck, I even used cloth diapers through 3 ½ kids! Read the rest of this entry →
May 4 2012
Have you guys heard of Mayim Bialik? She’s an amazing actress and writer and mother and OH YEAH, has a blog on Kveller?
We thought it was about time to share some Mayim love by giving away free copies of her brand new book, Beyond the Sling, to three lucky winners. Alls you gotta do to enter is sign up for our semi-weekly e-newsletter, and then drop us a note in the comments below. If you’re already signed up for our newsletter (yay!), just leave a comment, and you’re good to go. We’ll choose three random winners next Thursday, May 10 (which happens to be the air date of the season finale of Mayim’s hit show, The Big Bang Theory. Have you heard of it?), so enter today.
Sign up here, comment below, and good luck!
May 1 2012
The New York Times “Room for Debate” section has tackled a topic near and dear to many of our readers’ hearts: Has women’s obsession with being the perfect mother destroyed feminism?
Among the featured debaters (along with Erica Jong and Bringing up Bebe author Pamela Druckerman) is Mayim Bialik, who argues that attachment parenting goes hand in hand with feminism.
What do you think? Can you be a feminist attachment parent? Read Mayim’s full debate here and then throw in your own two cents.
Apr 3 2012
Kveller BFFs Carla and Mayim.
Last Thursday night, I had the opportunity to go see our very own Mayim Bialik speak at a charitable event in Boston hosted by the Combined Jewish Philanthropies. To be sure, it wasn’t the Emmys, but it’s about as close as I have come to the red carpet. In honor of my big night out, here’s my Mayim-style recap:
1. Clogs–not cool. Huh. Apparently most women don’t show up at high-end fundraisers in Boston wearing Dansko clogs. In all fairness, I literally raced from a presentation at a social work conference (where clogs are part of the dress code) to the event, but a more fashion conscious (and organized) Mama would have had a spare pair of heels in her bag. Whoops. (Note to self: buy a pair of heels.) Read the rest of this entry →
Mar 9 2012
My girls never wanted to co-sleep with us.
It’s been a big week here at Kveller.
Tamara Reese announced her second pregnancy, and Amy Deutsch was outed about hers. Jordana’s family was felled by ear infections and coxsackie virus, and Sarah Tuttle-Singer ran out of her beloved eye drops, which are apparently unavailable in Israel. (Anyone who has spent any significant time travelling can attest to how traumatic this can be.) Perhaps best of all, I braved my way to the Big Apple and got to see our editor Debbie Kolben interview Mayim Bialik about her new book. (Haven’t you heard? She’s got a book out. Oh, and she has sex in the kitchen. Just ask Barbara Walters—she’ll tell you all about it.) Read the rest of this entry →
Mar 6 2012
We had a great time last night at the JCC in Manhattan, where Kveller editor Deborah Kolben moderated a conversation with Mayim Bialik about her new book, Beyond the Sling. Since we’re so internet-y all the time, it’s always nice to see people in the flesh, so here’s a shot with Mayim and some of the ladies of Kveller!
From left to right: A very pregnant Amy Deutsch, Mayim Bialik (not pictured: her very high heels), Deborah Kolben, Cara Paiuk, and Carla Naumburg.
Feb 29 2012
All the Jewish celebrity parent gossip you (n)ever wanted to know.
- Is Natalie Portman secretly married? This is the question on many people’s minds as both the actress and Benjamin Millipied were spotted with some bling on their ring fingers at the Oscars. Just tell us, Natalie! I promise I won’t be mad that you didn’t invite me. (Famecrawler)
- Sarah Jessica Parker was spotted picking up twins Tabitha and Loretta from their preschool in New York City. Ridiculously adorable pictures ensue. (Celebrity Baby Scoop)
- Mayim Bialik gets a huge feature in Celebrity Baby Scoop, in which they interviewed her about the upcoming release of her book Beyond the Sling. The interview includes such gems as, “I promise you I’m a very normal person – I clean my own toilets and everything.” (Celebrity Baby Scoop)
- Celebrity bikini shots are always depressing to us normal-bodied folk, but at least these ones of Bethenny Frankel in South Beach include her cute 2-year-old Byrn in a heart-filled suit. (Famecrawler)
Feb 27 2012
Thanks to Kveller contributing editor Carla Naumburg, who spotted Mayim Bialik’s new book Beyond the Sling on the shelves of her local Barnes & Noble two whole weeks before its official release date! Ya’ll better go run out and grab your copy while you can. And for those of you in New York, don’t miss Mayim at the JCC on March 5 with Kveller editor Deborah Kolben.
Feb 13 2012
Catch the latest episode of Saturday Night Live? In an actually funny sketch, “The Quirky Girls Club” featuring Zooey Deschanel and Mary Kate Olsen offer their praise for the original quirky girl, Blossom star Mayim Bialik. Check out the clip below, and skip ahead to the 3:00 minute mark if you’re in a hurry. Thanks to The Shmooze for writing it up!