Feb 3 2014
All the parenting news you probably didn’t have time to read this week.
– Dylan Farrow, adopted daughter of Mia Farrow and Woody Allen, published an open letter in the New York Times, claiming she was sexually abused by Allen when she was 7. Meanwhile, Allen’s documentarian highlights some inconsistencies in this now decades-long case. So what are we to make of all this? Elissa Strauss writes for The Sisterhood that it’s OK to be ambivalent. (Forward)
– The abortion rate in the United States is at its lowest point since 1973, when the supreme court legalized the procedure in all 50 states. No conclusive evidence yet as to why, but many are linking the drop to the availability of new, long-acting contraceptive methods. (Washington Post)
– Another newborn has contracted neonatal genital herpes from metzitzah b’peh, a controversial circumcision rite in which the mohel places his mouth directly on the circumcision wound in order to draw blood. The practice is not used in most Jewish circumcision ceremonies, but many in the haredi Orthodox community still adhere to the rite. (JTA)
– Preschool is totally trending right now, with more and more states from both sides of the political divide making a serious push for government-funded preschool. (NY Times)
Aug 5 2013
Thank you to the group Official Comedy for making this amazing parody of what the X-Men movie Wolverine would be like if Woody Allen directed and starred in it. Neuroses, awkward romances, and Jewish jokes–“Try being a mutant Jew–nobody hates me more than myself, which I guess is like a normal Jew, but you get what I mean”–ensue.
Like this post? Get the best of Kveller delivered straight to you inbox.
Feb 6 2013
All the Jewish celebrity parent gossip you (n)ever wanted to know.
- Jewish father Woody Allen breaks down the difference between being a hypochondriac and an alarmist for the New York Times. “I don’t experience imaginary maladies — my maladies are real.” (NYT)
– Busy Philipps hiding the fact that she was pregnant while filming for Cougar Town was a sinch, since her character loves showing off her boobs, and Philipps’ boobs grew three sizes during one season. The more you know. (Celebrity Baby Scoop)
– New Girl actor Max Greenfield says his 3-year-old daughter Lily is a big “Gangam Style” fan. In other news, I’m a big fan of the fact that Greenfield had a Saturday Night Live-themed bar mitzvah. (Celebrity Baby Scoop)
– In case you wanted to see 25+ pictures of Natalie Portman eating lunch with her friends, we’ve got you covered. From what I can tell, she ordered a sandwich and juice. (Just Jared)