Jan 21 2014
Not to belabor the losing point, but I did not win a SAG award this weekend, nor did Jim Parsons, nor did our show. That’s just the way it goes, it’s an honor just to be nominated, blah blah blah, I know.
Here are some photos from my evening nonetheless.
Getting ready with Robert Ramos (hair), stylist Alison M. Kahn (clothing stylist), and make-up extravaganza Linda Cowan (who does my make-up on The Big Bang Theory).
The lipstick choices Linda provided me with. I had no clue what to wear, so she picked.
Me with Kaley Cuoco and Melissa Rauch at the awards.
Me at the awards, my official selfie of the night. Read the rest of this entry →
Jan 17 2014
Alright, people. The last of the January awards shows is this weekend. The SAG Awards are the awards of the union of actors of which I am part of. The votes are cast by actors, for actors. It’s a peer event and I am feeling the weight of that with every fiber of my being.
Trust me on this one. It is a true honor to be acknowledged by people who know exactly how hard it is to be an actor and to make choices we actors make, and all of that artsy crafty actor stuff that non-actors think sounds bonkers and just really dumb.
I am nominated as part of our cast and individually as an actress in a category that is comprised of lead actresses and little old me. Yeah, I was shocked, too. Read the rest of this entry →
Jan 14 2014
I picked this week to take out my dining room fixture. It’s the brightest and best light in the house and it’s in the room where I get my hair and makeup done but I have disliked it for many years. For a ton of interesting and not interesting reasons, I chose this week to finally be done with it and remove it from the ceiling, thus leaving my hair and makeup team no good light with which to make me up. Don’t ask. So I gathered every other lamp I could and plugged them in and thank goodness make-up lady Linda brought a light to clamp to a chair, so we were all good. But didn’t I feel like a dolt. Yeah, I did. Here’s some of the lamps in my dining room.
Snazzy limo in effect. Neon lights. Big enough for 10 of my closest friends even though I did not have 10 friends with me. Here’s the limo: Read the rest of this entry →
Dec 11 2013
I got nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award!
This is a huge deal because:
1. There isn’t a Supporting Actress category and I am a supporting actress person. You can tell by my salary and by the proportion of plot lines and a bunch of other stuff that designates actresses as lead versus supporting. But I broke on in to this category and it’s insane!
2. SAG is an organization of my peers. It’s actors voting and actors nominating and that makes it such a huge honor. The politics of the Emmys are so complicated and the voters are not all actors, but to be acknowledged by actors is the biggest compliment of all. It’s insane!
3. Jim Parsons and “The Big Bang Theory” show were also nominated. I am so happy for Jim and for our show, but it’s extra special amazing insane to be a nominee along with Jim and our show. It’s very special. And it’s insane!
4. Now I will be extra nervous that night! It’s insane!
I already have a gorgeous dress in the works and I think it’s perfect for me as a nominee. (Yes, there are dresses that are more nominee-appropriate than others, believe it or not.) I don’t think I have ever been as excited about a dress as I am about this one, and that’s really nice to know that I am feeling less stressed about the dress than usual so I can be stressed about the nomination as my main focal point of anxiety.
Now I really have to make sure my heels aren’t too high. Because it’s one thing for me to trip and fall on the red carpet, but it’s a whole other thing for me as a nominee to trip and fall on the red carpet.
It’s insane. I am so grateful and excited. Thank you, SAG!
Love Mayim? Get her latest blog posts delivered straight to your inbox.
Sep 23 2013
1. Losing Team. Let’s just get it out of the way right now: losing sucks. I am a fiercely competitive person about everything from how fast I can run up a flight of stairs to how much someone loves me. Since I was a very small child, I wanted to win all things and be the best at everything and if not, challenge myself to try to be the best by beating myself up for not being the best. So, yeah: losing sucks. I am happy for Merritt Weaver and sure, being nominated makes me a winner, except when it doesn’t because I lost. I am fine, I am OK. I’m not broken, just bent. And I will learn to love again.
2. Eating. Because I am a vegan, eating is often hard at fancy Hollywood parties. I did a smart thing this weekend, though. I attended an awesome PETA event where I could eat literally anything there! Here is the vegan mac n cheez I ate and some of the adorable beautiful animal-cruelty free desserts they had. Yay for PETA. And for feeding me to help metabolize some of the drinks I had that night! Read the rest of this entry →
Sep 18 2013
Well, folks, the Emmys are this Sunday. Since Sukkot starts tonight at sundown, I (and Kveller.com) will be off the grid Thursday and Friday. That means that the next you will hear from me is from the Emmys (if I can get reception to tweet!) and then after the Emmys.
Here is how it’s shaping up.
I kicked off Emmy week with the Audi and Altuzarra Pre-Emmy party in West Hollywood (for pictures from the event, click here and here). Since I drive an Audi A4 and am totally in love with it, I was thrilled to celebrate in the Audi spirit. Even the bartenders’ aprons had the Audi logo on them! Read the rest of this entry →
Aug 8 2013
As many of you know, I received my second Emmy nomination a few weeks ago for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy for my work on “The Big Bang Theory.” It’s been very exciting, even–especially!?–the second time around. It means lots of interviews, lots of excitement for our show, which was also nominated, my co-nominee Jim Parsons, who was also nominated, and it’s just crazy exciting all over town.
It also means something that many women love to think about but which I famously don’t: finding a dress. And getting dressed up like a princess. And hair being styled and make-up being done and jewelry being selected and shoes and a purse and blah blah blah blah. None of that stuff thrills me. I am a tomboy, I am grumpy, I have not had a manicure in maybe 10 years, I don’t like pampering, and I hate sitting in one place for more than five minutes.
Anyway. Read the rest of this entry →
Jul 19 2013
Oh my goodness. I got nominated for another Emmy. Whaaaa?!
I am as shocked as if you told me that Chuck Lorre had been nominated for a Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Emmy. Why am I so shocked? I don’t know; I’ll ask my therapist. I just am! I was certain I would not be nominated.
Here’s how it all shook down. This past week, my boys and I were staying at my mother-in-law’s house in San Jose. Yes, I’m divorced, but I can’t call her my “ex mother-in-law.” It sounds too weird and we love each other and love the boys and it’s all so good and fine and it was a great week. So that’s that.
I knew Emmy nominations were being announced and of course my BFF who is in Israel for six weeks remembered, because she woke me at 5:30 a.m. with a phone call from atop some citadel in the middle of Israel whispering, “Did you get nominated?” I disentangled myself from my sleeping boys and whispered back, “I don’t know!”
I started cruising the internet to discover that the announcements had actually just begun. I debated watching the announcements streaming live on my phone but felt too pathetic to do so, since I was so certain I wasn’t being nominated and it just seemed it would be too darn sad to not hear my name called, even though I had convinced myself it wouldn’t be; I guess there is always a shred of the human spirit that wants to triumph against cognitive reasoning! Read the rest of this entry →
Jul 18 2013
What do a dead baby bird, Pringles, and a tantruming 4-year-old have in common? Mayim’s 2nd Emmy nomination! Stay tuned for the whole story tomorrow. And then stay tuned for another series of posts on her search for the perfect modest Emmy dress.
In the meantime, join us in wishing her one giant MAZEL TOV!
Love Mayim? Get her latest blog posts delivered straight to your inbox.
Jan 28 2013
One of the poses during which my hand is in total pain.
Well, folks: I did it. I survived Awards Month 2013. It started with the People’s Choice Awards, then the Golden Globes, and the SAG Awards were last night.
As you’ve come to expect from me, here’s the honest-to-goodness truth about what it was like from Mayim’s perspective.
1. Preparing. Stylist Ali was certain this dress she chose for me months ago would be amaaaazing; I was skeptical: too bright, too blue, too tight. But I trusted her, mostly because I am so stressed with the divorce and everything relating to that that I can’t really fight anyone on anything fashion-related right now. And she knew that. And she used it to her advantage! My favorite beloved hair/make-up artist was available for last night and that always makes me feel trusting, because she’s so cool and relaxed and super honest and low-stress. We gave ourselves plenty of time to get me ready and I was ready to walk out the door by 3 p.m. Read the rest of this entry →