Sep 7 2012
It’s been three weeks since the car accident I had which damaged my right hand and set me on a course of several months of recovery, lots of lying on the couch, and more negotiating with dosages of acetaminophen and ibuprofen than I care to discuss.
I have written about the accident cursorily and somewhat lightly: how I removed my false eyelashes in the ambulance, made jokes about desires for tummy tucks with my plastic surgeons who repaired my hand, and the breathing and meditative techniques of natural labor I utilized to manage pain and fear. But my religious identity has pursued me–or I it–throughout this ordeal, and I have a desire to write about some of the more complex aspects of the accident and recovery as an observant Jew. Read the rest of this entry →
Sep 5 2012
It’s time for an injury update. Typed with my left thumb, of course.
1. Pain? Yes. Stabbing, burning, dull, sharp, searing? Yes. Grumpy and frustrated? Yes.
2. My right hand has had a wardrobe change. We’ve moved from two finger SPANX to an entire glove of a SPANX-like masochistic material. It’s kind of cool looking if you think about it long enough and let your focus go blurry. I look like a comic book superhero villain. Mistress Glove, my husband has named me. It’s for swelling and pain, by the way. And it scares my younger son. Read the rest of this entry →
Aug 27 2012
My new finger Spanx.
Mayim here with an update, not dictated. Typed with left thumb.
1. I have two fingers still very swollen. The hand Dr gave each swollen finger a miniature sleeve. Each looks like a tiny finger SPANX. Kind of adorable.
2. Speaking of SPANX, I was on Access Hollywood Live! today and my husband helped me get dressed. He at 6′ and more strength than my stylist was an excellent SPANXer. He basically shook me into that cozy sausage casing of an undergarment. Not adorable, but efficient and worthy of a giggle.
3. I’m still in pain. But I’m stronger every day.
4. My 4-year-old keeps asking me to play. I tell him I can’t. But Friday he suggested, as if it hadn’t occurred to me, “Mama, play one hand.”
5. Had a very healing Shabbat. Surrounded by friends and kids. On Sunday I napped. I got my stitches out. I had a wonderful acupuncture session.
That’s my update. More later, when FAB (Fancy Assistant Brandon) and I get to work.
Aug 20 2012
I am dictating this to my fancy assistant Brandon. For the next several months, I won’t be able to type and he will be my hands.
In case you live under a rock, I was in a significant car accident last week. Thank GodI’m going to be okay. I have all of my fingers. I can even feel all of them. I can move all of them, too.
Although there is nothing funny about what happened to me, there are several things I’d like to share with you that may make you laugh and that’s okay. If they don’t make you laugh, that’s also okay. Read the rest of this entry →
Aug 17 2012
I had a horrible accident. I will be okay. I have all my fingers but a very impaired right hand. It was very bloody and scary but I am ok. A man named Tim and another man whose name I don’t know saved me from losing a lot of blood and helped me talk to my husband at the scene. I am grateful to them.
I am a deeply religious person who used prayer and deep breathing to keep me going all the way from the accident to the ER to surgery 6 hours later, no medication until surgery. Read the rest of this entry →
Aug 16 2012
Kveller here, hijacking Mayim’s blog to let you all know that Mayim is home from the hospital–all fingers intact–recovering from her car accident in LA yesterday. Thank god she’s okay! She’s even set to go back to work today, which has the Jewish mother in us saying, “No, no, get some rest!” but there’s no stopping that girl, right?
In the meantime, if you didn’t get a chance to catch her on The Soup last night, you’ll definitely want to check out this clip by clicking the photo below. It’s called “Mayim Bialik Oozes Sex Appeal” and, well, enjoy: