Sep 12 2014
So, here’s my deal: I’m socially conservative even though I’m a liberal. Confused yet?
I am a bleeding heart liberal without exception. But I am old-fashioned. My kids have clothes they only wear to synagogue. I don’t favor my kids cursing. I dress modestly. I don’t want my kids learning about sex from billboards. Stuff like that.
Which is why a few billboards I have seen lately really bug me. There is one for Ariana Grande, and I will go ahead and admit I have no idea who she is or what she does. Based on the billboard, she sells lingerie. Or stiletto heels. Or plastic surgery because every woman over 22 wishes she has that body, I’m sure. Why is she in her underwear on this billboard though? And if she has a talent (is she a singer?), then why does she have to sell herself in lingerie? I mean, I know that society is patriarchal and women are expected to be sexy and sexually available no matter what we do in society, but I guess now I need to explain that to my sons? Read the rest of this entry →
Jan 16 2014
For #tbt, here’s me with Cyndi Lauper. I was 10 (pre-acting). She was shopping on Melrose a block from where I grew up.
Feb 1 2013
Leaving the Svedka party.
1. I got tendinitis due to my continuing recovery from my accident and doing “too much” too soon.
2. I was “grounded” by prematurely grey hand therapist from driving my new Audi for now, since it’s a stick shift. I listen to him. I’m a compliant patient.
3. I am back to typing one-handed. Fancy Assistant Brandon may be used for me to dictate posts to for the next few weeks.
4. Back to full compression glove to manage the swelling.
5. Saw “Life of Pi.” Loved it, but highly recommend reading it, as well as Yann Martel’s other amazing novel about animals, Jews, and the profundity of existence, Beatrice and Virgil*.
6. Made my first “celebrity appearance” last night at a “Throwback Thursday” 90s pre-Valentine’s bash at a very popular LA bar, sponsored by SVEDKA Vodka (yum). It was actually pretty fun, and I got to hang out and pose for pictures with Joey Lawrence!
7. We told our sons what “divorce” means and it was actually a very gentle and loving and non-traumatic conversation. Phew.
*If you buy anything on Amazon by using these links, a portion of the profits will go to support Mayim’s writing on Kveller.
Aug 22 2012
Monday night I made my first red carpet appearance since my accident. It was an Emmy nominee reception hosted by the people who actually vote for who wins the Emmys.
I’m going to be honest. Monday was a rough day, recovery-wise. I almost didn’t go but went for a few reasons. First, it’s a fantastic opportunity to schmooze with the people who will potentially vote for me to win the award. Second, I saw it as an opportunity to prepare for a night of filming, which would be the next night, in terms of staying awake past 7 p.m., which I had yet to do since the accident. And finally, I had an awesome Tadashi Shoji dress already picked out and we all know you can’t disappoint your stylist.
The evening was a tremendous success, both professionally and personally. Here are my highlights.
1. Getting dressed. It normally takes me one hour flat to get ready. Monday night, I left myself two hours since things I took for granted, such as putting on my own SPANX, takes a longer time when someone else is doing it, especially when the SPANXer and the SPANXee are giggling hysterically. We got me out the door lookin’ pretty sharp and all I could think was: we put Humpty Dumpty back together. Read the rest of this entry →
Mar 30 2012
These women are not gross!
I got an email from my dad the other day. Here’s what it said.
Subject: 2 things
1. Did you know Alicia Silverstone chews up food and feeds it to her baby?
2. Eating placenta may not be good for you.
If you know my dad, you know that this is well within the realm of “normal” for my father and his email communication with me. In fact, it’s one of the less bizarre emails I have ever received from him. But besides alerting me to the fact that if my dad knows about this Alicia thing, I should probably write about it, it brings to light a larger parenting issue that’s been on my mind lately about where our comfort zone is, and what happens when someone does something outside of it. Read the rest of this entry →
Jan 20 2012
The perks of the trade.
I went to a SWAG event Friday with Melissa Rauch who is on The Big Bang Theory with me.
“What’s a SWAG event?” you ask? Well, SWAG is an acronym for “Stuff We All Get,” “stuff” being products and services, “we” being the celebrities of the world at large, “all” being a term that is supposed to include all celebrities but is a bit of a misnomer because only super famous celebrities get the big-ticket items like free cars and free Rolexes and free trips to Fiji, and “get” meaning if you pose for pictures with different companies’ products, you get to take those products home. Read the rest of this entry →