Jan 21 2014
Not to belabor the losing point, but I did not win a SAG award this weekend, nor did Jim Parsons, nor did our show. That’s just the way it goes, it’s an honor just to be nominated, blah blah blah, I know.
Here are some photos from my evening nonetheless.
Getting ready with Robert Ramos (hair), stylist Alison M. Kahn (clothing stylist), and make-up extravaganza Linda Cowan (who does my make-up on The Big Bang Theory).
The lipstick choices Linda provided me with. I had no clue what to wear, so she picked.
Me with Kaley Cuoco and Melissa Rauch at the awards.
Me at the awards, my official selfie of the night. Read the rest of this entry →
Jan 17 2014
Alright, people. The last of the January awards shows is this weekend. The SAG Awards are the awards of the union of actors of which I am part of. The votes are cast by actors, for actors. It’s a peer event and I am feeling the weight of that with every fiber of my being.
Trust me on this one. It is a true honor to be acknowledged by people who know exactly how hard it is to be an actor and to make choices we actors make, and all of that artsy crafty actor stuff that non-actors think sounds bonkers and just really dumb.
I am nominated as part of our cast and individually as an actress in a category that is comprised of lead actresses and little old me. Yeah, I was shocked, too. Read the rest of this entry →
Dec 11 2013
I got nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award!
This is a huge deal because:
1. There isn’t a Supporting Actress category and I am a supporting actress person. You can tell by my salary and by the proportion of plot lines and a bunch of other stuff that designates actresses as lead versus supporting. But I broke on in to this category and it’s insane!
2. SAG is an organization of my peers. It’s actors voting and actors nominating and that makes it such a huge honor. The politics of the Emmys are so complicated and the voters are not all actors, but to be acknowledged by actors is the biggest compliment of all. It’s insane!
3. Jim Parsons and “The Big Bang Theory” show were also nominated. I am so happy for Jim and for our show, but it’s extra special amazing insane to be a nominee along with Jim and our show. It’s very special. And it’s insane!
4. Now I will be extra nervous that night! It’s insane!
I already have a gorgeous dress in the works and I think it’s perfect for me as a nominee. (Yes, there are dresses that are more nominee-appropriate than others, believe it or not.) I don’t think I have ever been as excited about a dress as I am about this one, and that’s really nice to know that I am feeling less stressed about the dress than usual so I can be stressed about the nomination as my main focal point of anxiety.
Now I really have to make sure my heels aren’t too high. Because it’s one thing for me to trip and fall on the red carpet, but it’s a whole other thing for me as a nominee to trip and fall on the red carpet.
It’s insane. I am so grateful and excited. Thank you, SAG!
Love Mayim? Get her latest blog posts delivered straight to your inbox.
Jan 28 2013
One of the poses during which my hand is in total pain.
Well, folks: I did it. I survived Awards Month 2013. It started with the People’s Choice Awards, then the Golden Globes, and the SAG Awards were last night.
As you’ve come to expect from me, here’s the honest-to-goodness truth about what it was like from Mayim’s perspective.
1. Preparing. Stylist Ali was certain this dress she chose for me months ago would be amaaaazing; I was skeptical: too bright, too blue, too tight. But I trusted her, mostly because I am so stressed with the divorce and everything relating to that that I can’t really fight anyone on anything fashion-related right now. And she knew that. And she used it to her advantage! My favorite beloved hair/make-up artist was available for last night and that always makes me feel trusting, because she’s so cool and relaxed and super honest and low-stress. We gave ourselves plenty of time to get me ready and I was ready to walk out the door by 3 p.m. Read the rest of this entry →
Jan 31 2012
I spent last week in Florida with my husband and our boys, Fred (3 1/2) and Miles (6). I spoke for the Jewish Federation of Greater Orlando, and spent a shabbos at the dynamic and very diverse Boca Raton Synagogue, where my friend and study partner Allison “Jew in the City” Josephs and I were the scholars in residence. We flew home the Sunday after Shabbat ended, to make it home for the SAG awards for which our show had been nominated for Best Ensemble. So the flight home was the morning of the awards, getting into LAX just in time for me to get my hair and make-up done and fly out the door. Read the rest of this entry →
Jan 30 2012
The SAG awards were last night, and Mayim made an appearance looking hot and holy, as always! It’s also of note that Mayim Bialik was trending on Twitter at 5 p.m., whatever that means. Hang tight and we’ll have her own post up here soon, but until then, here are a few links from the red carpet that the Kveller team dug up:
– Here’s a very glamorous head-to-toe shot from the red carpet. (Yahoo)
– Kelly Osbourne tweeted, “Why am I fanning out so hard over Blossom?” to which a deluge of fans replied, “Because she’s awesome!”
– Amy Kaufman interviews Mayim and asks the age old question, “If the Big Bang Theory wins tonight, what are you going to do to celebrate?” in which Mayim responds, “Go to sleep!” (LA Times)
– The city of Houston was kvelling over Mayim, who “Made a big bang on the red carpet… wearing Houston designers.” Close up of jewelry included! (Culture Map Houston)
– And finally, Mayim’s hair made a splash. Her ‘do was included on E!’s Suprise Carpet Trend: Milk-Braids edition. (E! Online)