Oct 20 2014
Chag Sameach to all of you who have celebrated the fall harvest festival of Sukkot and Simchat Torah—now we are all done with holidays for the fall!
I wanted to give you my “Top 3 Things Happening Now” regarding Sukkot, autumn, and what’s new in “The Big Bang Theory” world I live in.
DISCLAIMER: I WILL NOT SPOIL ANYTHING ABOUT “THE BIG BANG THEORY” HERE. DON’T START POSTING ALL OVER THE WEB THAT MAYIM IS A SPOILER. BECAUSE I’M NOT. Read the rest of this entry →
Oct 15 2014
So everyone asks me about what it’s like to work on “The Big Bang Theory.” What’s Sheldon like? What’s Penny like? Do you all get along?
Sheldon, played by Jim Parsons, is awesome. I have written here about how much I adore that man.
Penny, played by Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, is a super skilled, seasoned performer who always dresses cool and just is the epitome of cool. Her jewelry is always cool. Even in workout clothes she looks amazing and cool. Read the rest of this entry →
Jul 10 2014
We are thrilled to announce that our dear Mayim Bialik was nominated for her third consecutive Emmy award for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. Also, wishing a giant congratulations to Mayim’s castmate Jim Parsons for his Best Actor nomination, and to the entire cast of “Big Bang Theory,” which is up for a Best Comedy Series. Mazel Tov to all the nominees!
Stay tuned to read Mayim’s reaction tomorrow.
Love Mayim? Get her latest blog posts delivered straight to your inbox.
May 28 2014
We are extremely happy to report that our very own Mayim Bialik has been nominated for a Critics’ Choice Television Award!
Mayim, along with co-star Kaley Cuoco, was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. “The Big Bang Theory” was also nominated for Best Comedy Series, and Jim Parsons for Best Actor in a Comedy Series. (Also, James Earl Jones was nominated for his guest appearance on Big Bang, because, come on, he’s James Earl Jones.)
The awards will be held on June 19th, so stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed until then. Mazel tov, Mayim!
Apr 23 2014
The eight days of Passover are over as of last night. Here are the highlights of my days of Chol Ha’Moed (the intermediate days) and the final religious days of the holiday.
1. Heartburn. Never had it in my life. Apparently, it happens to a lot of people from matzah. So I’m a vegan. And I don’t eat kitniyot during Passover (beans, corn, rice, etc). And I basically was unable to eat matzah for the final four days. Try and think of what I could eat. Not a lot. It was lots of fruit, spinach with Russian dressing, nuts, and dates. And some BBQ potato chips. And the last of the corn syrup-free Passover Coke. Mama was hungry. And pretty grumpy.
2. Universal Studios. Read the rest of this entry →
Feb 7 2014
If you saw last night’s Valentine’s Day episode of The Big Bang Theory, I assume you might still be swooning… Yes, Sheldon kissed Amy. For real. The way mommies and daddies do.
Here are some behind-the-scene tidbits from last night’s episode.
1. The Train
The train set was built right on our stage, complete with “train movements” which made me slightly nauseated. We filmed every scene you saw twice, in 180 degree rotations. It’s a long complicated director’s story as to why we filmed it like that, but suffice it to say we filmed a 14-hour day in that train set and it was a long 14 hours. But I think it came out great from what I hear.
What made the 14 hours fly by was that all of the scenes were with Simon Helberg, Melissa Rauch, and Jim Parsons. While our entire cast gets along swimmingly, the combination of the four of us made the hours seem like minutes. We had a blast all day and Simon makes me laugh so hard on a regular basis. We also had interesting heavy conversations on breaks throughout the day, including a discussion of some interesting Jewish philosophical ideas. Yeah, that happened. Read the rest of this entry →
Jan 14 2014
I picked this week to take out my dining room fixture. It’s the brightest and best light in the house and it’s in the room where I get my hair and makeup done but I have disliked it for many years. For a ton of interesting and not interesting reasons, I chose this week to finally be done with it and remove it from the ceiling, thus leaving my hair and makeup team no good light with which to make me up. Don’t ask. So I gathered every other lamp I could and plugged them in and thank goodness make-up lady Linda brought a light to clamp to a chair, so we were all good. But didn’t I feel like a dolt. Yeah, I did. Here’s some of the lamps in my dining room.
Snazzy limo in effect. Neon lights. Big enough for 10 of my closest friends even though I did not have 10 friends with me. Here’s the limo: Read the rest of this entry →
Dec 13 2013
1. Show Time
This was one of the rare episodes we did not film at our normal taping hour. Because of the number of small scenes and flashbacks, we filmed for two long days in front of small groups of audiences who were rotated according to their tour schedules of the Warner Brothers lot. I missed a regular tape time with the anticipation and excitement of a few hundred people in the audience, but we made do with our smaller audiences very well!
If I’m not mistaken, I believe I’m the only one from the eight of us in the show last night (the Stuart character was in the episode along with the regular seven of us) who has never decorated a Christmas tree. Sure, I’ve been to homes that have Christmas trees and I vaguely remember stringing popcorn and cranberries for my friend Sara’s Christmas tree when we were in 7th grade, but I grew up in a home with no Christmas tree and really enjoyed watching it done for this episode! I think the tinsel is pretty and the lights are pretty too. The ornaments are neat and I would imagine it is fun to hang them all and arrange them all. I don’t wish I had a Christmas tree, but I’m also very comfortable enjoying the process from afar. Read the rest of this entry →
Nov 25 2013
To watch the booty swatting scene from “A Drunken Thanksgiving,” click here.
1. In the original draft of the script, there was no booty swatting. I can’t remember exactly what was in its place. It was some other awkward/inappropriate drunk Sheldon comment to Amy, but the swatting was added a few days into rehearsal.
2. This is not the first time that Sheldon has smacked Amy’s bum and I have a feeling it won’t be the last. The first and most memorable time was in the “Amy’s Sick” episode. Read the rest of this entry →
Nov 19 2013
1. History. I have been on “Arsenio” before. Well, I was on his former show in the 90s about five times. The first time was after “Beaches” came out and I played the trumpet on his show. Yes, I was that precocious actor kid giggling and playing a musical instrument for the pleasure of the audience. I was on again a bunch of times when I was on “Blossom” and if you go to my website you can see the video clips of all of those cringeworthy (for me) moments of me on “Arsenio.” Some include me in a floppy hat, dress, vest, and Doc Martens. Awkward!
2. Backstage. Sherri Shepherd from “The View” was on “Arsenio” last night, too. She came into my dressing room and was very sweet. I have been on “The View” to discuss my book on Attachment Parenting, Beyond the Sling, and they sort of gave me a hard time about a lot of it but they were also fairly nice. Then when I got divorced, some of the former hosts were not really nice at all. But Sherri has always been kind and supportive and we had some good laughs backstage. She also specifically said she wishes she could bottle and sell my hips which surprised me but I guess they are nice in the right light. Read the rest of this entry →