Love or hate it, Valentine’s Day is here.
February 14 is supposed to be a day of romance — so why is it that it rarely feels that way, even if everything in copacetic in that department? (And especially when it’s not!)
Sometimes V-day seems downright depressing, and that seems even more true when you see all the movies and cards and commercials about perfect dates — and you feel like you barely have time to shower.
This is why we think Valentine’s Day shouldn’t just about love — it should be about laughing. Why not spend some time today making fun of ourselves and finding the humor in everything? (Plus, shouldn’t every day be about love and kindness, not just one measly day out of the year?
In honor of V-day, we rounded up some hilarious satirical poetry, comics, articles, tweets and more.
Check them out here:
1. Candy hearts from Jewish moms. Enough said:
2. These tweets pretty much sum up what happens when you get married.
Send me a pic.
Send me a pic
of the tile you like.
— Jenn Farrar (@jennfarrar7) August 25, 2016
When you're dating, you message your partner about sex & fun date ideas. When you're married, it's about breakfast cereal iron content.
— The Tweeter Formerly Known As Manders (@mommywhitfield) March 10, 2017
3. These satirical love poems for married couples in The New Yorker are perfect.
When we have children,
They will watch no television.
We will be different from those other parents,
And we will take pride in our being better.
Fast-forward seven years,
And it’s Sunday morning,
Do you know who our friend is?
SpongeBob SquarePants, that’s who.
And, yes, you can have Mentos for breakfast.
4. McSweeney’s has done it again and given us everything we ever wanted: satirical erotica for feminists.
I meet a scientist on Tinder. They go on and on about their biggest professional achievement — the serum that made Ruth Bader Ginsburg immortal. It drives me wild. I don my naughtiest jabot and my sex gavel.
5. For all you book nerds out there, what if your favorite literary “complicated men” were on Tinder? Well, McSweeney’s has got your back, again:
Age: Not Applicable
Occupation: Ex-angel, Freelance enemy of God and His creation
About Lucifer: I actually invented online dating, so welcome to Hell.
6. Let’s not forget The New Yorker comics for Valentine’s Day, making your marital bliss dreams… not come true:
7. Not sure what romantic movies to check out — or what apartments to obsess over? Writer Dana Schwartz charts real estate vs. romance:
An important ranking of romantic comedies. Happy Valentine’s Day. pic.twitter.com/Tb3PCEkaEl
— Dana Schwartz (@DanaSchwartzzz) February 14, 2018