Baby Saves Family From Carbon Monoxide Leak...For Real – Kveller
Skip to Content Skip to Footer


Baby Saves Family From Carbon Monoxide Leak…For Real

Carbon monoxide poisoning is literally every family’s worst nightmare, regardless of whether you live in a house, condo, or apartment. It could happen to anyone, and the worst part is: It’s silent. This became one family’s reality, although luckily, the story has a happy ending…all because of a baby.

So, how exactly can a baby save a family from a carbon monoxide leak? Canadian mom Monique Ruppel says her 1-year-old baby Celia’s unusual behavior in the early morning hours saved their lives, according to The Huffington Post. Ruppel explained what happened in a Facebook post:

“This precious little angel did something extraordinary. Something she will not fully understand until she is grown. She literally saved our lives. Celia typically wakes once per night. We always get up with her and help her back to sleep. On Friday, at 3 a.m., she stirred for the second time. I attempted to make my way to her room but only made it a few feet before being completely overwhelmed with vertigo.”

Thankfully, Ruppel and her husband Kyle immediately recognized that something was VERY wrong, and called his parents to come over. At this point, they experienced dizziness, headaches, nausea, and burning eyes, and Celia began vomiting. Once his parents arrived, they were taken to a hospital and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning; they were even airlifted to Vancouver where they underwent oxygen therapy in a Hyperbaric Chamber, which is equipment that helps a person’s blood carry more oxygen to their organs when their body cannot. Their four cats and two dogs also received treatment (and recovered successfully!).

READ: No, Meditation Is Not the Cure for Postpartum Depression

Later on, in the thread of her Facebook post, Ruppel explained that the leak was caused by a problem with their furnace, which also serves as a scary reminder to families everywhere about the dangers of carbon monoxide leaks, and how detectors can save lives. Unfortunately, the Ruppels did not have one in their home at the time of the leak. Ruppel warns us:

“Please ensure you have a Carbon Monoxide detector and that it works. We are so thankful Celia woke us. We often wished she would sleep through the night but we do not feel that way any more. Our sweet sweet baby saved us all.”

Skip to Banner / Top Skip to Content