All the parenting news you probably didn’t have time to read this week.
- Louis C.K. is amazing. In this viral clip chatting with Conan O’Brien, the comedian makes a great case for why he thinks it’s toxic for your kids to get smart phones just because all the other kids have them. (Slate)
- This NY Times piece explores whether your child’s academic performance is correlated with his or her emotional intelligence, and if in fact, emotional intelligence can be taught. (NY Times)
- A mother discusses how “mommy wars” in lower-income brackets are about actual survival, not about competing with each other for praise or status. (Salon)
- While some of us in our skinny obsessed culture may take being called “String Bean” as a compliment, it can be a truly detrimental compliment for your children. (NY Times)
- Names are loaded with meaning, and it’s not unusual to freak over a name for your incoming baby. One expectant mother shares her struggle with choosing a name that wont be accompanied by any disadvantages. (Motherlode-NY Times)