Back to school is almost here, and many of you are counting down like it’s your own personal Christmas (er, Hanukkah). Believe me, I know. My daughter is home with me all of August, and it’s gonna be a long month.
In anticipation of Parents’ Freedom Day, aka the first day of school, I’ve been thinking about school lunches. And the foundation of a great school lunch your kid will actually eat is not even edible: It’s finding an amazing lunch box.
Lunch boxes have come a long way since I was in school and had a red plastic Garfield lunch box that came with one of those thermoses we literally never used. Today, you can get lunch boxes in every variety, shape, size, and most importantly, with lots of compartments to be able to pack something that is perhaps more interesting and healthier than just your average sandwich.
READ: The Nine Most Bizarre Moments in the History of School Lunches
It’s a scientific fact that kids love dipping, so I love some kind of lunchbox that includes small and larger compartments for things like hummus and carrots or apples and almond butter. It’s also a fact that kids will spill everything, so I have tried to select lunch boxes that won’t leak all over their backpack, desk, locker or your car. Here are five favorites I found this year:
1. The Bentgo Lunchbox comes in blue, green, or purple. I love all the compartments, the fact that it is very durable for kids, and the easily washable plastic container. Oh, and it’s BPA free!
2. Lunchbots come in several colors and also several varieties depending on how many compartments you prefer. But be warned—as cool and modern as this one looks, beware of putting in any kinds of liquids as the lids are not water tight. Then again I doubt your kid is bringing chilled avocado soup for lunch anyways.
3. Yumbox is another multiple compartment, leak-proof lunchbox that is BPA free. I love that you can remove the inside tray for easy washing, and that the middle compartment seems perfect for a little dip or a hard-boiled egg. It comes in several colors including yellow, green, blue, and purple.
READ: Repairing the World, Starting With Your Snack Bags
4. I have been using Easy Lunchboxes for my daughter for the past year and a half and have really loved them. They are durable, leak-proof, and wash well (believe me—we have left several science experiments growing in there). They come in a set, so you can use them for more than one kid or have an extra always on hand. The only catch: There are just three compartments, so not ideal for packing lunches with lots of small items.
5. If your kid really wants to show off their Jewish pride at school, this Jewish lunchbox from Zazzle is sure to fit the bill. Then again, this could be potentially embarrassing. Nevertheless, it comes in several colors, including blue, orange, pink, green, and black, and it includes several compartments for ideal lunch packing.
Looking for even more lunchbox ideas? Check out this list from HelloBee. Did I miss one of your favorites? Let us know in the comments below!