My friend Danielle Feinberg is one of the most creative people I know, and she always knows how to do something fun (and delicious) at every holiday.
This year in preparation for the seders she asked me, “What should I bring to your house?”
Thinking I was doing her a favor by assigning something “easy,” I told her to bring cut-up veggies for the kids’ table.
She responded, “Um no. OK, I will make a candy and chocolate covered matzah house.”
When she arrived with her masterpiece, the kids could not contain themselves and we had to hide it from them in my office. After dinner the kids finally let loose on the candy covered creation, and they were delighted.
If you’re looking for something fun to do with the kids this week or want to give your kids a wow-factor Passover dessert, making one of these houses is sure to do the trick. This is also the kind of project that you can go as wild or as simple as you like. Cover the whole house Hansel-and-Gretel style, or just let the kids have their way with it with a little structural guidance from you.
What you will need:
-Sturdy piece of cardboard (you can cut off a piece from an unused box)
-Tin foil or wrapping paper
-An empty tissue box
-A box of matzah (pieces should be unbroken)
-Chocolate chips or baking chocolate
-Chocolate spread, almond butter, peanut butter, or frosting for “glue”
-Candy, marshmallows, nuts, and chocolates for decorating
-Coconut macaroons for “bushes” or trees
Danielle’s matzah-house-making tips:
1. Put an empty tissue box, covered in tin foil, inside to keep the house steady.
2. Allow plenty of time for chocolate/other glue to dry as you are assembling.
3. Start by “gluing” the matzah to the tissue box with chocolate and then allowing to set in fridge for 2-3 hours before decorating with kids.
4. Use a serrated knife to “saw” off pieces of matzah.
5. To add windows and doors, turn house on its side and allow to rest and dry to avoid pieces sliding down.
6. Don’t use egg matzah.
7. Don’t worry if it’s not a perfect Martha Stewart version. Your kids will love destroying it and devouring the candy regardless.