Drawing a giant blank when it comes to gift giving this Hanukkah? Finding toys that won’t flash in your face or beep annoyingly every time you (inevitably) step on them–and that don’t cause your kid to stare at a screen for hours–can be difficult. Consider buying some of these quiet, old school toys that will entice their senses for more than just eight nights. (Did I mention they’re quiet?)
Reminder: This year, the first night of Hanukkah is December 6, so get shopping!
1. Get your kids’ strategy on with this wood chess set priced at an affordable $13. What’s not to love here?
2. Encourage your kids to learn new vocabulary words and spelling with Scrabble. This one is fun for the entire family.
3. Don’t want hard building blocks (because you can foresee your kids getting in some accidents/fights, like my sister and I did)? Get these soft interlocking building blocks that can turn into trucks instead.
4. For your mini-scientist in training, the “My First Mind Blowing Science Kit“ will be entertaining and educational (AKA the two E’s).
5. Got a young fashionista? Take your kid to sewing school at home with this book of 21 sewing projects for kids. They might even make you something.
6. Because who doesn’t love Play Doh? In 24 colors. Enough said.
7. Legos + Minecraft = Your Kid’s BFF
8. Because, really, you just want to play with your old Etch-A-Sketch. It’s OK to steal your kid’s toys sometimes.
10. Foster your kid’s inner artist and creative genius with this standing easel. Even Baby Picasso needed to start somewhere.