In Amazon’s hit series The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, the titular character certainly has her flaws, but if there’s one thing she knows how to do well — aside from comedy, of course — it’s how to make brisket!
Throughout the past three seasons of Amazon’s gift to the Jews, Midge’s brisket has been the portrayed as the ultimate comfort food. It was her cure for homesickness while touring on the road, and it even snagged her on-again, off-again husband (played by Jewish actor Michael Zegen) some comedy stage time. But that’s not all: According to Midge herself, her “famous Passover brisket” is “the reason the Angel of Death spared us” on Passover.
And now, to quell our collective hunger for fresh Maisel content, Amazon just gave us the best quarantine gift ever: the recipe for Midge’s Famous Brisket!
Will its magic hasten the end of this pandemic? Well, the recipe includes both beer and cranberry sauce, so there’s a high possibility it might. But there’s only one way to find out for sure. Check out the recipe, below!
Midge’s Famous Brisket
- 5-6 lb brisket
- 3 medium onions
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz chili sauce
- 2 15 oz cans of jellied cranberry sauce
- 12 oz bottle of beer
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. In large pan, sauté sliced onions and garlic in oil until browned.
3. Remove onions and garlic from pan, salt and pepper the brisket and sear using the same pan.
4. Once seared on all sides, add onions and garlic under the brisket.
5. Add chili sauce, cranberry sauce, beer, cider vinegar.
6. Sprinkle top of brisket with brown sugar.
7. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 3.5 hours.
8. Refrigerate overnight and slice the next day.
Looking for more classic brisket recipes? Check out this roundup from Kveller‘s sister site, The Nosher.