It was a beautiful Easter Sunday. Although not my holiday, it is a day I happily celebrate with my in-laws, and we always have a terrific time. There is food galore, a frenzied and exciting Easter…egg hunt, lots of laughter and more love than can fit in the house. In the midst of the chaos and excitement and heat-wave that was Easter 2017, I excused myself to the go the bathroom. The window was open and I stood there for a moment, enjoying the sounds of the kids squealing outside.… >> Read More
Accidents happen. We can't prevent every accident from happening--or you know, they wouldn't be called accidents--and life is full of the unexpected, both good and bad. Sadly, for Ricky and Kayli…Shoff of Utah, they had a terrifying experience with their kids, as their 2-year-old twin boys had a piece of furniture fall on top of them. Their twin toddlers, like most toddlers their age, like to explore. Last Thursday, the boys were climbing on top of their bedroom dresser. The furniture toppled over and trapped… >> Read More
“Stop that, that’s not a good idea,” I said to my son and his friends as they climbed wildly over the jungle gym in the last 10 minutes of my 6-year-old’s birthday party.
A second later my…son was unconscious on the ground, spittle gathering around his mouth and my world narrowing to a pinpoint. In an instant, as I lifted his limp body and laid him out on the ground, my mind swirled: Was this our before and after? Would I ever have him—the real him—back again? “He’s not OK!” I… >> Read More
One dad experienced a very scary situation this week--he had to stop his baby from choking. While incredibly common, it's also incredibly frightening--especially as one child dies every five days…from choking in the U.S. Justin Morrice gave his baby little crunchies snacks that his child ended up choking on. Apparently, the snacks had gone stale, which made them harder to chew. In his now viral post on Facebook (now at 26,000 shares), he wrote: “After scanning the can my mom found this ‘warning’ in… >> Read More
Last winter, a car hit my 3-year-old daughter and me. We had been running errands in our neighborhood and were standing at a crosswalk, holding hands and waiting for the light to change. The sparkly…silver wand my daughter had insisted on bringing along glittered in the late afternoon dusk. The light changed and we stepped out into the crosswalk. Four steps, maybe five, and then it happened: Something hard struck my left side and I collapsed, my daughter falling beside me. I don’t know when her hand dropped from… >> Read More